It seems like everyone has retrospect fever these days…with the end of the year approaching I suppose it’s only natural to look back and take stock of where you’ve been and what you’ve done. And, in my case, what I’ve done is listen to a LOT of music.
I’ve always been into music, but it wasn’t until this year that I was really INTO it. I’ve traded my bad pop song affliction for the kinder, gentler, awesomer indie rock and, well, I’m not going back. Yes, I do love me some JT (especially after he gave his best performance EVER on SNL) but methinks that Birdmonster and The Submarines and Margot & the Atomic hoohas (you know who I’m talking about) are much more my style.
However, the "Best of" Lists are getting kinda boring – yes, we ALL know that Silversun Pickups and Arctic Monkeys and The Black Angels and Band of Horses (ooh! Love them love them love them!) are going to be on your Top Somethings List (at least if you’ve got ANY indie rock cred, they will) but what about the lyrics? To me, the song is made by the lyrics…for all you nay-sayers who say that it’s the melody, you’re right as well, but me? I need the lyrics.
As a writer, the lyrics speak to me right when I need them to. I find myself hearing them for the first time when they’re most relevant to my current situation. As such, here’s what has been playing in my head for the past few months.
(Caveat: This is just a handful…I can’t have you knowing ALL of my secrets.)
So, without further ado, I present, in no particular order:
Ten of the All-time Rocktastically Best Lyrics (that I listened to on repeat) in 2006
1. "And some have said that true love’s something we are sure of, my only hope lies in your being confused." – Vote, The Submarines
He doesnt want her but he just won’t let her go, She started breaking but she still won’t let it show, He doesn’t want her but she just won’t let it go" – The Big Fight, Stars
3. "I was tired from the moment I woke, I stopped listening the moment you spoke, and said I’m long gone." – Talking in Code, Margot & The Atomic So & So’s
4. "There’s always other boys, there’s always other boyfriends, there’s always other boys, and you can make them like you." – You Can Make Them Like You,
5. "If you should go I won’t have you to blame for my unhappiness for darker days" Peace and Hate, The Submarines
6. "I like to think I’m the mess you’d wear with pride Like some empty dress on the bed you’ve laid out for tonight." -I Go to the Barn Because I Like the – Band of Horses***
7. "But time is contagious and everyone’s getting old" – Damien Rice, Coconut Skins
8. "Rapt, in Star Wars sheets with my hand across your belly" – A Favor, Okkervil River***
9. "I think I might know what I really want But is a brighter discontent the best that I could hope to find?" – Brighter Disconent, The Submarines
10. "I’m not yours, my friend, I’m not yours but I’m everything." – Balcony, Birdmonster
*** These are tied of the best first lines of songs (that I’m currently obsessed with, natch.)
Feel free to read between the lines, but in this case, I think you’ll learn more by simply reading them as they are.