New York is a city of movement. We walk faster here. We put our little white earbuds in our ears, moving to the beat of our own soundtrack, often immune to the song of the city. The noise that the subway makes when it whirrs past you, the sound of the expletives when you’ve missed the train by 30 seconds. It’s a fast-paced city, this one, and I feel like I haven’t stopped moving since I moved here six weeks ago. There’s always somewhere to go, always something to be doing.
I’m trying to slow down. To look up. To see the skyline and the water towers and the windows with all those people (ALL. THOSE. PEOPLE!) and to listen to the soundtrack of this city. Of my new home. To adapt to the pace, but to let myself be comfortable with my own one as well.
This mix is the one that I’ve been listening to with my own little white earbuds when I succumb to the status quo. Or when it’s all getting to be too much, and need to drown out the rest of the world. Enjoy.
1. How Much More – Stars
2. Lost and Found – Phoenix
3. Rhodesia – Manor
4. The Lie – Bad Veins
5. Up All Night – Blink 182
6. Take Me Out to the Coast – Waters
7. Your Past Life as a Blast – Okkervil River
8. Twenty Miles to NH Part 2 – The National
9. Blue Jeans – Lana Del Ray
10. Without Permission – Caroline Martin
11. Ghosts that we Love – Mumford and Sons
12. Green Aisles – Real Estate
13. No Love – Hooray for Earth
14. Save Me – Ryan Adams
15. Soothe Me – Yuck
16. Don’t Stop – The Dodos